Clothes Washer Broke Part II: Washing Machines are Gross

I took apart the washing machine last Wednesday, and I've got to say, it's a lot nastier than I thought it would be. When I fixed the dryer, all I found inside was a bunch of lint. The washer was filled with the nastiest stuff I've ever seen in something that's supposed to clean things. I guess the dirt has to go somewhere.



The washer had a lot of water in the drum and in the tub. I was going to buy a hand pump, cause I didn't want to spend the money on an electing one, when I found this thing. It's a drill pump. You attach it to and power it with a drill. I wasn't sure how I was going to get the water out of the tub. I unscrewed one of the "fins" from the side of the drum and found a decently sized hole under it through which I could stick the tube.














I still couldn't get all the water out of the big black tube, so I just opened it up and let the water spill out. I have a tray under my washer so it caught all the water. It was so nasty and smelly that I had to open a porch door and light a candle.











The pump was bolted into the bottom of the washer. I tried to unscrew it, but it was too tight for a phillips screwdriver. The screw had a hexagonal top, so I was able to wrench it out. If you don't have a ratcheting socket wrench, you're missing out.







The inlet for the pump was clogged with lint, and gunk, and a button. The button was the perfect size to block the impeller. I started wondering if the pump was actually broken or if it was just blocked. I cleaned all the stuff out and reconnected the motor. I ran the rinse cycle and watched the drum fill with water. It turned, the water slashed, and I wondered if I'd need to break out the drill pump again. The rinse cycle ended and the drain pump turned on and drained all the water out. Washing machine fixed.









Here are some photos off all the nasty stuff I found in the drain pipe, including the blackest quarters ever.



Dropped that screw in the water. It's gone forever.

I only have bleach so I can poor it in nasty smelling stuff.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clothes Washer Broke Part I: Time to Bust Out the Drill.